Monday, December 22, 2014

Revamped Lodging


I am currently extending my mortgage by the cost of one remodel. It's a pretty big remodel and I think it would have been cheaper to just buy Bill Gate's house and donate my current domicile to mortgagemasters.com. It would cost about half as much to go that route I think. I called NASA for help in calculating of how many more months I have to pay on my mortgage after I add the remodel mortgage to the first three mortgages that I own and they said as soon as they hire some more math guys, they will spin up another super computer to figure it out. In the meantime, I stumbled on a new diet plan. It's called the “remodel diet.” Put all the food you like in a pile and stack the paint and hammers and new kitchen sink on top of it. You get to eat the food when the work is done. It's working pretty well but it stinks like a hog trough full of rotten dairy products in the basement.

We are tearing out rooms and walls, replacing what we can with better materials, better floors and doors and prettier things. We bought new wall paper and complementary pastel wall paint. That's great and I am thinking it's going pretty well, but I was looking through the receipts for the kitchen cabinets and I see we bought a special cabinet to store the tupperware. Yup. A dedicated tupperware storage cabinet is what we have chosen for our personal magnum opus. It goes next to the sink. I wanted to put a gun rack there, but the better half explained how it would more efficient to have a tupperware organizer since the favorite shotgun and deer rifle were pawned while I was on a five hour bike ride last June.

I like tupperware as a concept, but giving it a home of it's own just doesn't make sense now. It seems a wee bit over the top.   However, the kitchen sales gal was really persuasive and I was conveniently sent to look at the nail guns when that decision was made.

The remodel is great and we are happy that we are doing it but, its just stuff. Should we pick this lamp shade or that? How many place settings at the dining table, eight or ten? Do we paint the walls tan or taupe? It really doesn't matter.  These things are small things.

Money is easily won if you are willing to sacrifice all.  Possessions are gathered up against some perceived need, some temporary want or desire; In the end, things wear out and fall away.  If you think about it, the only things we can't live without are  a good toothbrush and a comfortable bike seat.

The skeleton of our lives is in truth not adjoining bones but adjoining choices. We follow what path we will. We choose wrongly only if we choose to stop, to cease, to end.



No comments:

Post a Comment