Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tour

A common human trait is that we qualify our lives wrongly. We all do it. When I look back at my life, at the good memories that make me smile and the bad memories that refuse to die, I count my life in days. That is, I recall the day this happened or the day that happened, then I count those memorable days up and that numerical tally of those days is the mathematical expression of my life. Depending on how old you are, your total might be ten thousand or twenty thousand or thirty thousand days. It depends on your age multiplied by the probability that you will do something worthwhile on a daily basis. It's not complex, but it is difficult to calculate with accuracy.

Then I look forward. I pull up the actuarial table that my life insurance agent uses to predict my demise and I count my remaining time I have left in years. I think about the days to come and I assume they will be too numerous to count. I'm an optimist.

That's backwards. It isn't about math. Euclid was wrong. The time already passed is meaningless. It doesn't matter how many good or bad memories you have had up to this point. The time left to each of us may be one day or ten thousand, in the end, it matters naught. If we try to derive some mathematical formula to categorize it, we miss the value, we miss the gift of life we were given at birth. It isn't the number of days left that matters, its the quality of those days that counts.

Last Saturday, I ran 6. It was a good run, my knee wasn't paying attention and it forgot to fire a pain salvo until about an hour after the run. That might sound bad, but its good, really. See, it's like this; Knee pain and taxes are really the same thing. You know your knee is going to revolt and you know you have to pay taxes. Delay them both. Don't let your knee revolt until after you finish your workout and don't pay your taxes until next year. Or the year after.  Delay delay delay.

Sunday, my daughter and I rode 56 miles, including a quick jaunt up Mud Mountain. My daughter isn't used to the longer rides yet, so it was sort of a surprise she finished so strong. I didn't expect that, I thought she was going to blow up but she did great. For me that ride wasn't that big of a deal. I can knock out 56 as easily as I can snap-hook a #2 Titleist into the fat lady on the next fairway. I am not bragging. Cycling is a function of money. If you have the funds to go to spin class all year long, if you swim or run or bike or lift or go to yoga six to eight times a week, you can ride 56 without popping a head gasket. I pay big money so that I can ride 56.

As I was thinking about my workouts over the past weekend, I was comparing them and trying to decide which one was the better, which offered the highest return on my investment of time and effort. The run was harder, and therefore was the better workout. The more I run, the better off I will be in Lake Stevens, but the ride was by far a better day. I spent the day with family, I rode to the top of Mud Mountain and spent a few minutes taking in the view and I got to ride without a jacket, which is a huge plus if you ride in the cold nine months of the year like I do. And I got to ride with the view highlighted by the majestic Rainier. It was a good day.

I am watching the Tour.  Those guys are amazing.  They can pull a big gear for hours on end and they weigh 150 tops.  Freaks.  See the link  for a few fun stats.


No comments:

Post a Comment