Sunday, January 18, 2015

Dogoppotamus and Pistachio

Some triathletes are seriously attached to their running shoes and I guess that makes sense. The run is where you suffer the most and the last thing you want is another excuse to cry. You need to be happy with your footwear. If five hundred dollar gold embossed running pumps turn your crank, then knock yourself out. Throw those bad boys into your T2 bag and feel good about the choices you make.

Some other tri guys are really hooked into their bike gear.  For instance, I really like my bike seat.  It cost about forty dollars on the close-out  rack and it fits my sensitive posterior.  They quit making that model during prohibition, so if somebody stole it, I would be in a tough spot.  

I know a guy that if his tri bike ever gets a scratch, he is going to buy a special bullet and write his own name on it. Another guy I know will only wear these crazy big mittens when he rides on cold weather rides. They look like boxing gloves. I think he had those mittens custom made out of live beavers. I used to make fun of him and his rodent hand protectors until we rode on a subzero day and he was the only guy who could hold his water bottle.

I am not that tightly wound about my gear. For me, my gear is just a bunch of tools. Mostly it's just a bunch of tools. Sort of. OK, I do admit to having a sock thing. My two hundred dollar amazon bill over the last three months reflects my recent sock problem. I don't know why, but I can't buy socks that fit. My feet are oddly shaped maybe. Or perhaps my running gait isn't properly tuned to my choice of hosiery. I don't need the high-tech super-speed socks. I just want to run and not get blisters and not have my socks slide down into my shoe and wad up in the toe. That seems like a small thing to ask, I think. Why don't they make socks that fit my extra sweaty 13EE hooves?

I had a tough day today. I went to spin instead of riding outside. I should have ridden but the weather sucked, which I guess is just another excuse to not train. No matter what, spin isn't the same as riding your bike. It just isn't.

I ran after spin and I felt like a sack of rocks. I ran with my dogoppotamus and John and his dogoppotamus. That's fun, but my run sucked. The good news is I tried out a new pair of socks, which worked pretty well. I don't usually do product placement ads for sock companies, but my contract with the beer company and the soda company didn't pan out, so I am hoping this unsanctioned sock thing will net me a healthy endorsement contract. 

Oh, I almost forgot, my new socks are available in 'Pistachio' color. I like how that sounds when I say it and I like how it looks when I type it.  Pistachio.


No comments:

Post a Comment